Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Team Sydlik Takes MARM!

When I was a student, I always wondered why professors' websites were out of date. When I became a new professor, I chose to use a Blog for my website so it was easy to update... and yet here we are! Only one update in the last 5 years 😳😂😅 At least you can see from Google Scholar that we've been doing some fun science and from @bunniesofochem (Instagram) that bunnies have a good time with Team Sydlik! (Forget about X... once it stopped being Twitter, it stopped being fun.) Anyways, the truth of this matter is that professors have too much to do and too little time and if we don't update our websites, everyone in our group still gets paid and our courses still get taught. None of our promotion or retention is based on how good our website is... so it slips to the bottom of the priority list. That's not to say that recruiting is not important! I'm chair of our admissions committee so prospective graduate students are a top priority to me. If you have any questions, just reach out and ask! (And if you don't get a response the first time... try again! I get at least 100 emails I have to respond to for essentials every day, so often some slip through the cracks.)

Anyways. I promised my students that if they got ice cream together and sent me a picture, I would in turn update the website. So here goes...

Last week (June 5-8) Team Sydlik visited Penn State University for the ACS Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting. 5 team members presented including Dr. Juhi Singh (PD), Walker Vickery (PhD 5), Sebastian Guarjardo (PhD 2), Jacob Kadir (UG), and Dr. Annie Arnold (Lab Manager/ Group Leader/ Cat Herder). Enriching science was shared and learned. The real highlight of the trip though, was the trip for group ice cream at the Penn State Creamery!

L to R: Sebastian, Walker, Juhi, Annie, Jacob.
I don't see proof of ice cream, but I trust that it was so good that it disappeared immediately ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment